Thread: 1978 corolla-caster plates?

1978 corolla-caster plates?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1432.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	15199Hi all.im new to the forum and very impressed with the knowledge of members. Im in need of some drawings that would help in the fabrication and machining of caster plates. First guy that helps gets a free beer.

1978 corolla with custom k member fabbed and installed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	15200
    Last edited by Chevolla; 12-05-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Well to change caster you simply need to change the adjustment of the strut rods on the front suspension. If you want to change camber then you need a plate and/or and NCRCA.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

The upper strut mounts are equilateral triangle pattern. You *may* be able to get some Camber plates and clock them to adjust caster *a little*. But usually, it is adjusted with tension rods. Anything more than that would involve moving the upper strut mounts.
    Bryan
    DK Moderator

Thanks guys. I have simply adjusted strut rods to the max. I dont like all the preasure its put on bushings.plus i only get about 5 degrees out of it. I will reverse engineer some plates. With all the people on this forum,was hoping someone has made plate like this and had drawings. No big deal ill get it done. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0248.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	15202
    Sorry No beer for you guys.

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	15203

Name:	IMG_3692.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	15204

I just rotated the plates and drilled 1 new hole. sitting at 6.5 degrees of caster now, only works if you have longer lower control arms, but if you're going to do all that work for caster I assumed you already have camber

5 degrees is plenty of caster though, it creates a large amount of dynamic negative camber without too much added steering effort. Why are you interested in more?

Also, the typical good plates not only have a pillow ball mount but also a torrington bearing to prevent heavy wear. Very difficult to reproduce without easily spending double the purchase price of off-the-shelf units.
    Last edited by sunray; 12-07-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: I bang cats.

Or you could have said "sorry, my kidnap victims keep kicking my elbow, it made me drop my crack pipe and swerve"

-bangnscrape

A pillowball mount is actually a metal plate that replaces the rubber strut top mount, with an integrated spherical bushing, also made out of rubber. The idea is that the metal will flex less than the rubber piece, so there's less deflection in the suspension system.When you have a camber plate, you WILL have a pillow mount, as the adjustments have to be stable, and a rubber mount does not provide as much stability in controlling flex as does the metal.Not needed for my application. "Torrington" is a brand name not a specific type of bearing and they are very cost effective.Im retired,have a small machine shop in my garage including 3 axis cnc and cad software.I can make them for little out of pocket.5 degrees might be good for stop light traffic. I need 5 to 10 to keep her straight at 116 mph+.

Quote Originally Posted by Duy- View Post
    I just rotated the plates and drilled 1 new hole. sitting at 6.5 degrees of caster now, only works if you have longer lower control arms, but if you're going to do all that work for caster I assumed you already have camber
    6.5 might be my sweet spot. How does she track with the extra caster? Yes im good with camber and i also can modify lower arm if needed. Good idea you had rotating and adding hole.

I found turn in was better, generally felt like there were benefits than drawbacks but only if you're building a race car. I ran slightly toed out, 6.5 caster and -3.5 camber.

it's still easier to buy a shelf unit though because regardless, you need the camber plate adjustment. when you rotate it, all you're doing is sacrificing camber adjustment for caster. I pulled the top of the strut back towards the car and ignored what positive camber it gave me, then adjusted camber from the control arms

Quote Originally Posted by Chevolla View Post
    A pillowball mount is actually a metal plate that replaces the rubber strut top mount, with an integrated spherical bushing, also made out of rubber. The idea is that the metal will flex less than the rubber piece, so there's less deflection in the suspension system.When you have a camber plate, you WILL have a pillow mount, as the adjustments have to be stable, and a rubber mount does not provide as much stability in controlling flex as does the metal.Not needed for my application. "Torrington" is a brand name not a specific type of bearing and they are very cost effective.Im retired,have a small machine shop in my garage including 3 axis cnc and cad software.I can make them for little out of pocket.5 degrees might be good for stop light traffic. I need 5 to 10 to keep her straight at 116 mph+.
    Thanks for educating me on an item I own, can make, and also pointing out that you can never refer to an item by a brand name and get taken seriously. No one would ever know what tool I was referring when I said "Vice-grips." Next time I won't make the mistake of trying to help you on your quest. Butt I guess you're retired so you often try to type in a condescending manner so I can return the favor. Little wonder forums are dead.

-bangnscrape

oh I didn't realize you wanted caster to keep the car straight, thought we were racing and drifting. 3 degrees of caster is enough, just toe in the car in and it'll be fine for highway cruises

There is not enough caster in the world to make up for that boat anchor in the engine bay.

another corolla ruined. Salvage me those rims <3
    OldSkoolCustoms

More old toyotas then common sense

Thanks for your help Duy. I forgot about the toe in. That might be the answer im looking for. Right now the car handles like a go kart. It tracks straight but i feel its too responsive.
    Last edited by Chevolla; 12-09-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by g penny View Post
    There is not enough caster in the world to make up for that boat anchor in the engine bay.
    Lol its just a small block.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Thanks for educating me on an item I own, can make, and also pointing out that you can never refer to an item by a brand name and get taken seriously. No one would ever know what tool I was referring when I said "Vice-grips." Next time I won't make the mistake of trying to help you on your quest. Butt I guess you're retired so you often try to type in a condescending manner so I can return the favor. Little wonder forums are dead.
    Check your mail box. I sent you a "Kleenex"<(brand name)
    Just joking. My intent was not too piss you off. I do appriciate any help i can get. I am a suspention newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolcool View Post
    another corolla ruined. Salvage me those rims <3
    I have all the org parts. She can still be saved. I have four of the craiger 4 bolt rims. I can let you have a pair for 50 bucks.

Chevolla; Welcome to DK. This is great place and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people that still contribute. You are a new member and do keep that in mind. Chris (sunray) has been here for a long time with many, many helpful posts. Generally, asking questions will be fine, you will get many answers. Use the search function, most topics have been discussed previously in detail. If you click on a user's name, you can see what posts and threads a user has started/posted on. This will give you insight as to whether you may need to enlighten them to something. Their 'Join Date' and Post count can also indicate this too. Don't be afraid to PM (private message) a user too if a post doesn't make sense or you want some clarification.

The people that reply to threads here do not have to. They do it because this community tends to keep us crazies near by. We have that old rusty Toyota disease that only seems to get worse as we, and the cars, age. Tread softly, ask questions, listen to the answers and your experience here will be fun and enlightening. Start flames wars, and disrespect people trying to help, you may find that it can be quite cold here.

This is my two cents. This is by no means me speaking for the board, I am speaking as someone who has been here a while and have seen both types of users come and go.

I do recommend checking out one of sunray's threads Click ME
    You can get an idea of what he has done. May give you some ideas too.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me. Also check out the Forum Q&A and Rules sections. Maybe introduce yourself in the 'Introduce Yourself Here' section.

Cheers!
    Bryan
    DK Moderator