Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

hai
    I am your 4ajesus

I just accept the rust for what it is now. No other choice in Ontario.

I regularly get kids asking about buying the ae92s in the yard because they assume they're ae86s. People Love these cars but the cars themselves are dwindling. I only ever owned an auto sr5 coupe when I joined this site to sell it 10+ years ago. Managed to get rid of it here and never left. Made tons of lasting connections from this place. DK was a big part of my automotive intake in my formative years.

Also, nothing good is cheap anymore.

Sigh. My 1000th post. What a loser.

Sorry, I must be a newbie, lol, but do you have a wrecking yard, captain carnage?

I saw a red ae92 gt-s recently. Far & few in between now. Also saw an ae86 hatch, but they never returned any of my inquiries. Maybe it sold, maybe they changed their mind & kept it. If so, good on them, I hope it stays complete for a long time, bc it was solid.

Met some of the best car-guys & friends on DoriKaze. I still put the DK decals on my van, toolbox, helmet, etc., lol.

I used to be at the gta meets all the time, east & westend. But with kids & family now, priorities changed over the years. I'll always remember DK for the good times

But I heard the DK-FB group is thriving
    '90 4A-GE, '00 1ZZ-FE FWD? WTF.
    '92 5S-FE, '01 D17A2,
    '06 J35A7 VCM, '07 J30A5,
    '88 VW MKII, '88 Datsun/Nissan
    R.I.P. LM.05/13

Yes I do Sleepy. Maybe not for long with the new Bylaw enforcement though.

^That's a cool thing, I like taking pics of old cars, also interesting old cars sitting in yards, field finds or barnyard gems.

Sorry to hear about possibly having to close up shop, I'm sure a lot of people would miss having it around for sure.

Maybe one of you guys will pick up this 87 Corolla
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

Back on topic..
    Sounds like old school people are still meeting up, just not posting about it is all. Good to hear that there will always be a community throughout Canada, as well as in the GTA. I might hit up an auto-x event in Barrie with a buddy, in May.

See you guys on the road
    '90 4A-GE, '00 1ZZ-FE FWD? WTF.
    '92 5S-FE, '01 D17A2,
    '06 J35A7 VCM, '07 J30A5,
    '88 VW MKII, '88 Datsun/Nissan
    R.I.P. LM.05/13

Quote Originally Posted by captain carnage View Post
    As someone who owns 20+ cars, I can honestly say that city bylaw can go **** themselves.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

The thing about us old guard is, while we still come by the board...there is nothing here for us to do. We aren't looking for parts and we don't really need advice.

We browse the threads, check the builds, see where meets are and keep up with what people are up to...but we socialize directly, as friends and in person rather than living online or through car meets because we've been around so long we know each other that well. Its gone beyond just cars and taken on a life of its own. But we're still around. We will always be around. Our cars aren't going anywhere.

The other thing is, life takes over...husbands, wives, kids, job changes...its all choices. I know guys who have had their cars in storage for many, many years...some 10+...but they still anonymously browse the board regularly. They'll get back at it when time allows. I know one person coming out of the woodwork as we speak, completely reconditioning their car as time allows for use later this summer. Its just cycles of life.
    Last edited by ae86boy; 04-22-2017 at 11:08 AM.

15psi + 280hp + 2200lbs = GOOD!

666 is offline Tested positive for Corolla
    Quote Originally Posted by ae86boy View Post
    The thing about us old guard is, while we still come by the board...there is nothing here for us to do. We aren't looking for parts and we don't really need advice.

We browse the threads, check the builds, see where meets are and keep up with what people are up to...but we socialize directly, as friends and in person rather than living online or through car meets because we've been around so long we know each other that well. Its gone beyond just cars and taken on a life of its own. But we're still around. We will always be around. Our cars aren't going anywhere.

The other thing is, life takes over...husbands, wives, kids, job changes...its all choices. I know guys who have had their cars in storage for many, many years...some 10+...but they still anonymously browse the board regularly. They'll get back at it when time allows. I know one person coming out of the woodwork as we speak, completely reconditioning their car as time allows for use later this summer. Its just cycles of life.

This.

1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon RIP donor to the 81'
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon *Now* 5spd Drifto
    1980 Toyota Corolla 4Spd Sedan
    1982 Toyota Corolla 5spd Wagon
    1981 Toyota Corolla Auto Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by captain carnage View Post
    What bylaw is that?

..many old school screen names here, brings a nostalgic feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Tavirace View Post
    A good ae-86 is as rare or rarer than a 70 Chevelle or 69 Camaro but unfortunately they have struggled to gain status in North America.I recently took my mint 87 SR-5 to a local cruise in.I arrived early,parked and said to the guy parking cars "Will mine be alright parked here?He said it is for now but you'll have to move it when "the cars" get here! Status maintains interest,if no one else is interested eventually you're not either,sad but true.
    **** THAT. This is why I don't go to D-bag car meets.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Wow I don't think I've been on here for over a month! last year I was on here daily.

Now everyone has been going to face book I feel left out since i refuse to get on there.

I have been slowly getting back into my cars after a while of just ignoring them but not much motivation to get back on here as it seems dead.

May be time to start a new thread about my '91 pickup 4x4 conversion....

Quote Originally Posted by bongmuon View Post
    Now everyone has been going to face book I feel left out since i refuse to get on there.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bongmuon View Post
    May be time to start a new thread about my '91 pickup 4x4 conversion....
    Yes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corolla.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	15443
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corolla 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	15444

Myself and my 13bt swapped AE86 will keep on fighting as long as the apex seals stay in their respective homes... which isnt saying much... it will probably blow up just sitting in the garage for all I know. Actually, its probably blown up while I was typing this. But hey, it is still alive, sort of and continuing to keep a smile on my face. I probably wont ever find another car that both excites me and makes me so angry all in the same moment. Long live the money pit that is an AE86
    Last edited by canadianbacon69; 05-20-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Grant? Car looks dope.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

Thanks Quinn! Currently in New Zealand but will be coming back to Canada at some stage to try and break this car some more.

*Edit* You should see the Corolla's over here, few and far between but in some of the best shape I have ever seen!! Not cheap though fetching around the 10,000-15,000 mark easy!
    Last edited by canadianbacon69; 05-20-2017 at 06:51 PM.

it's not just here, every forum for the 80's-90's cars is dieing off and even the "drift" forums have been shrinking, try finding a clean ae86 or 240sx for sale under $5k. Trends have changed, there's still a core die hard group of 80's toyota guys but the community hasn't been the same for a long time. I mean the original core DK group at the start in '99-'02 we are all hitting 40 now with mortgages and kids, many of us still have an old toyota or 2 (or 6) but the free time we have we would rather spend it working on the cars than posting about them. when you have soo little free time-(the only real limiting factor that you can't control or compensate for) there are a lot of things that get the axe. I'd love to post a build thread of my celica....and i still just might....when I find the time, but right now I gotta think about how much sleep i need to get done what needs to be done for my family tomorrow.

but yes of course I miss it and I'd love to have active conversation here.

but for now I need to get some sleep.
    My Blog CarJunkies

One thing I will say, posting pictures on FB or IG is soooooooooooooo much easier than posting them here, putting them somewhere else and getting a link and what not, one of the reasons why Facebook and stuff is taking off more. Nothing against this place, but I can see that as one of the reasons why people are going to Facebook.

But the car scene as a whole is dying off in Canada, and now the laws are changing to make it harder and harder anyways.

What facebook? Everytime I search ae86 on facebook I see some page that hasn't been active for like 2 months.....can someone help me find this facebook page that is booming with 86 activities? Btw I suck at facebook....