Thread: Popup light retractor problems PLS HELP

Popup light retractor problems PLS HELP

I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT HERE

I swear I have read every forum post and tried every single solution to this problem that I know of

My 86 has one headlight that will not pop up

Luckily I have a parts car and I have tried swapping everything I know to get that one headlight to pop up/retract:

- Changed the headlight motor itself
    - Swapped Blue headlight relay control box thing under steering wheel
    - Swapped Black headlight retainer control box thing under steering wheel
    - Swapped retractor relay under hood near headlight that bolts to rad support or whatever
    - 10A RTR fuse (kickbox) appears good
    - 30A RTR fuse under hood appears good

Still nothing. Can't even get the motor to budge. Please help!

The other headlight works perfectly, goes up and goes down without a problem.
    Last edited by adriantsui; 04-30-2017 at 03:27 PM.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

the motor you swapped, was it a new one or a used one? these things go, usually i had to swap one or two to find a working one, I've swapped out at least 4 or 5 on my car, but all used motors...also can you manually move the headlight up/down with the knob?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4age
    "The Miata will get some compliments along with some ?hairdresser? comments and odd looks from the average public, enthusiasts are never really sure if you are a stance guy, a drifter, or a homosexual"
    BUILD THREAD!!!
    http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...-pics-page-5!*

Maybe the headlight switch itself? Either that or something groundinv

Did you try putting power to the motor with some power source to see if it does work, And Im having a lighting issues as well sadly never seems to end, Hope you find something that works

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    the motor you swapped, was it a new one or a used one? these things go, usually i had to swap one or two to find a working one, I've swapped out at least 4 or 5 on my car, but all used motors...also can you manually move the headlight up/down with the knob?

The motor worked fine on the other car and I also plugged it in to the other side (the working side) to see if it would rotate and it worked fine. Yes I can move the headlight up and down with the knob so it is not a problem with the arm/lever thing that physically lifts the headlight 😬😬😬😬

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Quote Originally Posted by adriantsui View Post
    The motor worked fine on the other car and I also plugged it in to the other side (the working side) to see if it would rotate and it worked fine. Yes I can move the headlight up and down with the knob so it is not a problem with the arm/lever thing that physically lifts the headlight ��������
    Damn Im sorry I know how you feel, Im just as stuck with my own issues

Quote Originally Posted by TJWH View Post
    Damn Im sorry I know how you feel, Im just as stuck with my own issues
    Haha thanks for the help anyways!

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Sounds like there isn't power getting to that connector itself, or like Jehuty said, a ground issue. Check to see that you get voltage when the headlights are supposed to be moving, then check your ground connection.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Aaron GE View Post
    Sounds like there isn't power getting to that connector itself, or like Jehuty said, a ground issue. Check to see that you get voltage when the headlights are supposed to be moving, then check your ground connection.
    Hmm... It's looking like that is probably the case... Though I'm not quite sure how to go about this... I have a good multimeter but I am a total noob and not sure how/where I am checking specifically... am I basically checking for continuity on each wire on the connector? Do I just connect ground on my meter to chassis and red to each wire on the connector and then just work backwards toward the switch? Sorry not too experienced with electronics side of things...
    Last edited by adriantsui; 04-30-2017 at 10:06 PM.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

So let's take a look at the wiring diagram here. Each motor has 5 wires coming out of it.

You should probably start with checking lines 1 and 2. Those will be the ground and power for the motor, respectively.

You have a multimeter, right? If not, go get one. It doesn't have to be super fancy. There's one sale at Canadian tire for like 15 bucks that'll do.

Anyways, you'll want to disconnect the motor and probe the connector that goes to line 1 and a chassis or battery ground for continuity.

If that's good to go, then you can go ahead and switch your multimeter to check voltage.

Now you'll want to check between pin 2 and ground. When the motor is supposed to be turning, you should be seeing around 12v if the engine isn't running.
    If you're unsure, feel free to check out what the voltage on the corresponding line on the opposite side is.

Both of the line 3s from each motor should have continuity between them.
    Same with the line 5s.

Line 4 from each should exhibit the same behaviour while the headlight motors are supposed to be doing their thing.

So let's take a look at the wiring diagram here. Each motor has 5 wires coming out of it.

You should probably start with checking lines 1 and 2. Those will be the ground and power for the motor, respectively.

You have a multimeter, right? If not, go get one. It doesn't have to be super fancy. There's one sale at Canadian tire for like 15 bucks that'll do.

Anyways, you'll want to disconnect the motor and probe the connector that goes to line 1 and a chassis or battery ground for continuity.

If that's good to go, then you can go ahead and switch your multimeter to check voltage.

Now you'll want to check between pin 2 and ground. When the motor is supposed to be turning, you should be seeing around 12v if the engine isn't running.
    If you're unsure, feel free to check out what the voltage on the corresponding line on the opposite side is.

Same with the line 5s.

Line 4 from each should exhibit the same behaviour while the headlight motors are supposed to be doing their thing.

THANK YOU. Cleared it up perfectly for me. Will report back tonight.
    Last edited by adriantsui; 05-01-2017 at 10:22 AM.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Same with the line 5s.

So I only had a few minutes before it got dark but this is what I've got so far:

Pin 1 continuity with batt was good, as was continuity between both pin 3's and pin 5's... the confusing thing was I was getting zero volts on BOTH pin 2's when the headlight motor should have been doing it's thing... which doesn't make sense since the passengers side works fine... unless I am not using the meter correctly... (though I really don't see how I could be... set it to Volts..... Red end on multi on pin 2, black end on ground or battery....right?)
    Last edited by adriantsui; 05-01-2017 at 09:44 PM.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

You've got your voltage range set properly? It should be set to whatever number is next higher from 14.4, if you haven't already. I'm assuming the motors run on DC. (You've got it set to the DC voltage, not AC voltage, right?)

You've got your voltage range set properly? It should be set to whatever number is next higher from 14.4, if you haven't already. I'm assuming the motors run on DC. (You've got it set to the DC voltage, not AC voltage, right?)
    My meter has autoranging... and I'm pretty sure I tried both AC and DC since I wasn't getting a reading on either.

Either way I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Maybe I just wasn't getting a good connection as the connector holes are pretty tiny.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

side note: what exactly is the moon shaped symbol on the schematic connected to pin 2?

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

Good question. Whatever it is, it could be something to do with why you're not getting any readings.

Can you try probing power while the motor is hooked up to the connector to see what is going on?

Good question. Whatever it is, it could be something to do with why you're not getting any readings.

Can you try probing power while the motor is hooked up to the connector to see what is going on?
    Good call. I'll try that tomorrow! Thx

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR

So I decided to "jump" the working 12v pins (pin 1 and 2) from the working headlight motor connector and rig them up the the 12v pins on the non-working side to see if it would make the motor move.

The non-working motor turned, but they both started going up and down uncontrollably when I would flick the switch Up or down! I am assuming it's because I was using thick wire to jump the pins at the connector, which caused the pins 3,4, and 5 to not make proper connection, preventing the relays from functioning properly. But I think this confirms the motor was not receiving proper 12v power?

update: weird observation I just noticed when everything wired up normally. every time i flick the headlights up or down, the non-working motor rotates SLIGHTLY (maybe half a turn in the downward direction) whether i am flicking the headlights up OR down
    Last edited by adriantsui; 05-17-2017 at 10:22 PM.

'86 GTS Hatch
    '96 JDM ITR