Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bell housing. S and R motors.

yeah it's the 4-2-1, there will be a chop and redo in the spring. I've wanted to stuff a 3sge into my celica since i got it but it's not really worth the investment unless i go with the beams, in which case i'd end up using the 6spd and get all the mounts and driveshaft etc etc etc but still it's a big investment. i'll just cam the 22re, it's cheap enough to do that if i still swap it out later I'm not losing much.
    My Blog CarJunkies

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    Thanks for the goldmine Jeff, and yes this 2S bellhousing is from Australia I'm pretty sure.
    That parts list is all available from Toyota, off the shelf?
    They're all pretty new parts, so I would expect so, but I haven't personally tried to order them. Wouldn't be available from Toyota in Canada/USA though, would need to be from overseas.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

The trick would be to buy to find a north american flywheel and other equivalent parts that will do the job. Otherwise it’s just not worth it to do any 3s swap other than the rwd beams.
    My Blog CarJunkies

I've already got everything except some of those parts so it's not a massive outlay of cash, most things I can build myself which helps. Mostly a matter of time and lack of shop space...plus we got 7" of snow last night.

If you need parts from Japan to make this happen, let me know. I'll still be here for another 7 months or so.

Thanks for the offer, I'll pm you when the time comes.

Quinn, have you checked out the R150 transmission from a 3vz 4R or truck? I don't have a bellhousing to test fit but looking at pics, it appears that the starter would be around half way up the intake side, if mounted to a 3s. Only downside is the not-so-tall 5th gear ratio

These are just future dreams. The aussies got a ton of RWD 'S' engine bellhousings as they had SA60 celicas. I saw a wicked Carina sedan with an early 3SGE swap and it's always stuck in my brain. A healthy 160hp and under working it in a lighter car.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

yeah the early 3sg would be such a nice motor for the A6 celicas, just something with more oompf than the 4ag and actually wants to rev unlike the 22r.
    My Blog CarJunkies

It's always good to plan ahead Quinn, I know for me this thread is a motivator.

How many n/a variations of the 3s are there before the beams, not counting the FE version?
    Haha what's wrong with the 22r? Don't like spinning rod bearings above 5500rpm

yeah it's like the 22r does actually move you at a pretty decent pace....but it reaaaaally doesn't feel like it....it feels like no fun at all. it's very subjective.
    My Blog CarJunkies

I put one in my te72 sport coupe, and swapped in a Comp 268 cam without changing the head gasket. Never had any issues and that thing ripped pretty good. But generally yeah, asking a 22r to rev is like Rita McNeil running a half marathon and expecting her to be happy about it