Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 J160 swap

Serendipity's comprehensive AE86 J160 swap

My AE86 started as an automatic SR5. The first project my dad and I did together, aside from the basic maintenance stuff, was converting her to a five speed T50. Here's our project on that:

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.p...6-5-speed-swap

So my current setup is:
    -OEM 20V Blacktop
    -SS Works waterline kit
    -OEM Redtop AE92 flywheel and clutch (6.9kg)
    -Cusco Engine Mounts (10mm thinner than TRD/OEM)
    -T50 5 speed transmission
    -Team M factory taller 5th gear, second generation (.737)
    -TRD short shifter
    -Using redline MT-90 gear oil
    -Fully rebuilt OEM driveshaft with serviceable ujoints
    -Weir Performance 4.778 Ring and Pinion
    -Zenki 2 Way TRD Limited Slip Transmission

The T50 was a huge upgrade from the "3 speed" auto. I say "3 speed" because when I bought the car, the overdrive solenoid wasn't engaging. After spending some time with the T50, it seems that:

-it was originally a 70's 4 speed that TOYOTA simply added a 5th gear to. Poor engineering.
    -the gearing is completely mismatched to what a 4age with it's narrow torque band needs. Poor engineering
    -one of the two TRD close ratio kits that could fix this mismatched gearing is discontinued and the other, which in my humble opinion is inferior to the first, is far too expensive. Boo earns.
    -taller 5th gears are available, but are not under regular production. With a 4.78 ring & pinion, highway RPM is at around 4175RPM @110km/hr. Something to consider.
    -they don't handle torque well. I lost track of how many the local drift guys went trough each season. Sucks to be you.
    -finding a rebuild kit was near impossible until a fellow DK member put together a full rebuild kit including the discontinued caged needle bearings he had custom made to compete the set. Good on ya, mate.
    -although parts are getting harder to find, it's a relatively easy transmission to work on. Not bad at all.

So all in all, you'll keep your T50 if you want a period correct TOYOTA or if you're still saving up for the most logical upgrade, a J160 6 speed from an 98'-05' Altezza. Or, you could also get a nearly bulletproof transmission from Quaife, but it'll cost you around 7000 British Pounds for the transmission itself without bellhousing or ancillary parts.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-25-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Project duration: October 2017 to present

Thanks Dad for your contribution, supervision and patience.

Thanks to those who helped me find information or parts:

Warren
    Oldeskewltoy
    666 (Derek)
    Sam Q

Services & Parts Rendered:
    BC Works: Test fitting, fabrication, and installation of the transmission
    Bullfrog Transmission: Servicing the transmission
    Streeter Corporation: Overnight Parts from Japan
    SQ Engineering: Necessary swap parts
    PartSouq: OEM TOYOTA parts
    Regency TOYOTA: OEM TOYOTA parts
    Brian Roberts Automotive & Electric: Honda Starter

PARTS LISZT:

Transmission:
    J160S 6 speed from a 1998-2005 Toyota Altezza

Transmission Internals Needed:
    Input shaft seal, OEM: 90311-29001
    Shifter seal, OEM: 90311-18002
    Output shaft seal, OEM: 90311-38140
    Nissan S15 6th gear OEM: 32312-89F00
    Nissan S15 6th counter gear: 32341-89F00

SQ Engineering parts:
    -J160S adapter kit
    -J160 shifter relocation kit
    -J160 transmission crossmember
    -J160 mechanical speedometer
    -Flywheel locking tool
    -Honda Starter adapter

Clutch Release Bearing
    40TRK30W2SB

Flywheel & clutch options:
    TODA kits for 16V (3.7kg):
    http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...eel/4ag-1.html

TODA kits for 20V (4.4kg):
    http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...eel/4ag-2.html

Jun Flywheels:
    AE86 Light weight 2001M-T005 (4.1kg)
    AE86 Ultra light weight 2001-T005 (3.6kg)
    AE101 Light weight 2001M-T006 (4.6kg)
    AW11 Light weight 2001M-T007 (4.7kg)
    AE101 GZE Light weight 2001M-T020 (4.8kg)

OS Giken Clutch & Flywheel:
    Steel cover: TY311-AA4
    Aluminum cover: TY311-AA6

These come as complete racing flywheel and clutch kits. Consider the following information, quoted from the OSGiken site, before installing one in a street driven car. Check out some YouTube videos too and see for yourself:

"Q: Why do all OS Giken Race Clutches make a ringing noise when disengaged?

All OS clutch kits utilize a free-floating pressure plate design. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the clutch plates float within the clutch housing and emit the ringing noise most will hear.

Traditional clutch designs secure the pressure plate to the cover through the use of a pressure plate drive strap (aka “granny strap”). The advantage of having the granny strap is that clutch operation remains noiseless whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. However, in many situations where the clutch is being abused (i.e. “spirited” driving and/or racing), the granny strap can become a weak point in the system and has a tendency to bend or break.

With the OS free-floating pressure plate design, pressure applied to the disks is even throughout the clutch lifespan, and the friction material of the metallic disks is bonded through a specialized process (not riveted). This aids in increasing durability and lengthening the useful service life of our clutches. Power will continue to be transmitted effectively until the disks are extremely thin. Some race teams have gone through multiple seasons on an OS clutch before requiring a rebuild."

Friction Disk Options
    Clutch industries: R7895W

Heavy duty pressure plate options
    Clutch industries: RPM800 - 600N

Compatible clutch part numbers – 212 / 215mm
    Friction disk options
    -Exedy: TYD034U

-Pressure plate option 1- Heavy duty
    Exedy: TYC549HD - Rating: 490kg clamping force

-Pressure plate option 2- Extra heavy duty
    Exedy: TYC613HD - Rating: 680kg clamping force

Starter Options
    -4AG 16V starter (0.8kw)
    -'97-'98 Honda Prelude Starter: Mitsuba SM42228 or SM16960 (1.2kw)
    -Cooldrive 70-2834 (1.4kw)
    -JAS Oceania: SNJ135 (1.6kw)

Hydraulic System:

Mounting Parts & Hardware:

Shifter Options:
    -TRD Altezza short shifter, Discontinued: 33530-SE100
    -C's Altezza short shifter, Discontinued

Gear Oil Used:
    Redline MT-90 (1.95L)

Driveline:
    Last edited by Serendipity; 04-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.

I'm excited for this post. I dream of such a swap.
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

I ran the j160 in my Levin for about a season and it did really well in certain aspects but also had its issues.

Good:

3rd to 4th was really close which kept me in the powerband for larger tracks

Gears felt realitively well spaced out with the stock 4.3 final drive of the corolla

6 speed, more gear selection, fun down shifts and heel toes.

Bad:

The 6th on the j160 was shorter than the stock 5th in the t50, ended up revving even more on the highways just to keep up with traffic.

The j160 felt like glass still and shifting would get notchy, I noticed this in the altezza as well.

2nd to 3rd was awkwardly tall for the ae86 and for certain tracks like mission raceway, I'd much prefer a t50 with a 4.3 or 4.7.

Fabrication of my j160 was done by AMT machine shop. Hope to see a well written and detailed write up as always! I would do this swap again, but with a 4.778 final drive and just crawl it to the track.

Comparison between the J160 and the T50

OEM T50 gearing:
    1st: 3.587
    2nd: 2.022
    3rd: 1.384
    4th: 1.00
    5th: 0.861

2nd Generation TeamMFactory 5th: 0.737

TRD T50 Transmission gearing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T50 Gear Ratios.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	15613

OEM and TRD J160 Transmission gearing:

Name:	J160 Gear Ratios.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	15615

OEM Nissan S15 AZ6 6th gear: .767
    Last edited by Serendipity; 01-27-2018 at 09:32 PM.

I did a couple months of research, finding out what I would need to do the swap as painless as possible. The majority of the parts needed are made by SQ Engineering in Australia. Sam is super cool to deal with and always gets back to you promptly. I also think it's better to get the majority of parts from one place.

But before I got the SQ parts, I needed to find a J160. I contacted Jesse Streeter, and he helped me source one. It arrived in lighting fast time from Yahoo Japan. THESE ARE THE BEFORE PICTURES:

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	15590Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	467.1 KB 
ID:	15591Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	457.2 KB 
ID:	15592Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	15593

We sent it to Bullfrog Transmission, because they've been doing great work on my Transmission and Differential projects since I bought my Corolla in 2010. To my surprise, the internals were in perfect shape. All they recommended was a set of new seals and we could reassemble the Transmission. Derek told me to check out PartSouq.com and it proved a perfect choice. OEM catalogues and super quick shipping by FedEx. I got the seals in less than a week from when I placed my order.

With transmission in hand, I placed an order for the necessary items from SQ. They should arrive after Christmas:
    Last edited by Serendipity; 01-27-2018 at 09:20 PM.

if you had the transmission apart, you should have sourced out a taller 6th gear for the J160. One from the S15 Silvia comes to mind, as it appears to have the tallest 6th gear of the AZ6 transmission variants.
    Team おなに

Motor Village Crew unite!

Quote Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
    if you had the transmission apart, you should have sourced out a taller 6th gear for the J160. One from the S15 Silvia comes to mind, as it appears to have the tallest 6th gear of the AZ6 transmission variants.
    That's indeed a great idea, but I'm one step ahead of you. Oldeskewltoy from Club4AG helped me find the part numbers for the Nissan S15 6th gear and counter gear. I'm in touch with a couple companies who can source me with gears, http://jp-carparts.com/ being one of them for about ?17,000. They are actually rediculously cheap brand new from Nissan and still currently available. I might go that way too.

Justin, the transmission is actually still apart, but before Bullfrog puts it back together, they've asked if I can find them an FSM for the SXE10. It's a reasonable request as the J160 never existed in North America. If anyone has diagrams from the FSM or one in its entirety, please let me know. It would help a great help.

I would grab the FSM from Lexus Europe TechDoc (or other source) from an IS200 (GXE10). It uses the J160 and the manual will be available in English.

Alternatively the 86/FR-S TL70 is very similar, but since the manual exists, might as well use the exact one.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Lange; 01-13-2018 at 05:50 PM.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    That's indeed a great idea, but I'm one step ahead of you. Oldeskewltoy from Club4AG helped me find the part numbers for the Nissan S15 6th gear and counter gear. I'm in touch with a couple companies who can source me with gears, http://jp-carparts.com/ being one of them for about ?17,000. They are actually rediculously cheap brand new from Nissan and still currently available. I might go that way too.

Justin, the transmission is actually still apart, but before Bullfrog puts it back together, they've asked if I can find them an FSM for the SXE10. It's a reasonable request as the J160 never existed in North America. If anyone has diagrams from the FSM or one in its entirety, please let me know. It would help a great help.
    so glad to hear you're already piecing together the "ultimate 6spd"! excited to hear your results when it all comes together.
    Team おなに

Motor Village Crew unite!

Love your build threads Adrian. Looking forward to how this one turns out. What do you think the end cost will be? or I guess a better question is what did you budget for this and have you stayed on budget so far?
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
    I would grab the FSM from Lexus Europe TechDoc (or other source) from an IS200 (GXE10). It uses the J160 and the manual will be available in English.

Alternatively the 86/FR-S TL70 is very similar, but since the manual exists, might as well use the exact one.

Jeff
    Thanks, Jeff. I've ordered a J160 manual from Japan. It'll probably be in Japanese, but at least all the torque specs and clearances will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by projectae86 View Post
    Love your build threads Adrian. Looking forward to how this one turns out. What do you think the end cost will be? or I guess a better question is what did you budget for this and have you stayed on budget so far?
    Thanks, Matt. Your question is hard to answer, but I'll try. I definitely have a monthly budget for car parts, but I've never had a budget for car projects. I have an idea in my mind of what I want the end result to be, and I think about each piece asking the question, "can this be refinished or upgraded?" If the answer is "yes", then I do what I have to. The more steps I need, the longer the project takes. If this sounds strange to you, ask yourself "how many cars do I have/have I had in the last decade?" I've had only this Corolla. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Thanks, Jeff. I've ordered a J160 manual from Japan. It'll probably be in Japanese, but at least all the torque specs and clearances will be available.
    Okay, lol, but if you do want the manual in English, it's on that website.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

CHAPTER 1: FITMENT

DISCLAIMER: We believe that if you're running a stock 16V 4AG, or a 20V with a low profile waterline kit, then you’ll be able to fit the kit on with less effort than us. Although the SS Works waterline kit is a work of art, it did add to our fitment work, as well as making the possibility of an intake side starter impossible.

INDEX OF STEPS
    Step 1: Test fit the adapter plate to the transmission
    Step 2: Test fit the starter
    Step 3: Test fit the adapter plate to the engine
    Step 4: Test fit the bellhousing to the adapter plate on the engine
    Step 5: Test fit the empty transmission case to the engine with the transmission crossmember
    Step 6: Weld up the them holes you done did son...
    Step 7: Final considerations for CHAPTER 1: FITMENT
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-13-2018 at 09:09 AM.

STEP 1: TEST FIT THE ADAPTER PLATE TO THE TRANSMISSION
    -Take out your old T50, and try not to die of excitement.

Name:	T50 Out.jpg 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	15599
    -Bolt the adapter plate on to the transmission

Name:	Adapter Test Fit.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	15600
    Last edited by Serendipity; 01-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.

STEP 2: TEST FIT THE STARTER

-Cue Jungle Music

-Mark the areas that interfere with the starter

Name:	Unhappy.jpg 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	15609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unhappy Marked.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	15607

-Grind to fit

Name:	Grind.jpg 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	15603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After Grind 2.jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	15602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After Grind 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	15601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghost Pinion.JPG 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	15608

-Remove the plate on the back of the starter

Name:	Starter Back.jpg 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	15605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starter.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	15606

-Bolt on starter

Name:	Pinion Test 1.jpg 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	15604

-Manually press the pinion out to see if the clearance is enough. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! If there are no issues with the pinion clearance, then you can attach jumper cables to the solenoid to perform a final clearance test.

Get ready for it...
    Attachment 15664
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.

STEP 3: TEST FIT THE ADAPTER PLATES TO THE ENGINE

-Seat the two engine dowels so that they don?t protrude past the adapter plate.

Name:	Engine Dowel 1.jpg 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	15616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Dowel 2.jpg 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	15617

-Test fit the adapter plate and dust shield. We couldn?t get ours on because it touched the waterline kit (notice the engine dowel unable to seat). Again, if you?re using a lower profile kit, then you can probably skip much of this step. The intake side starter groove on the bellhousing also fouls against the floor. More on that later.

Name:	Initial 1.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	15618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Initial 2.JPG 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	15619

-"Cut, blend, pretend" - Warren

Name:	Cut Blend Pretend.JPG 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	15620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut Blend Pretend 2.jpg 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	15621

-Partially fitted:

Name:	Partially 1.JPG 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	15622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partially 2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	15623

-It?s on, but still touching:

Name:	Touching 1.JPG 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	15624Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Touching 2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	15625

-Final fit:

Name:	Final 1.JPG 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	15626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final 2.JPG 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	15627

STEP 4: TEST FIT THE BELLHOUSING TO THE ADAPTER PLATE ON THE ENGINE

Some pictures posted on the SQ site (2 of a J160G and 1 of a J160S) explained what kind of mods the bellhousing would need.

Name:	Bell side 2.jpg 
Size:	528.3 KB 
ID:	15628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell Side 1.jpg 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	15630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell top.jpg 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	15629

However, there were a couple variables that weren’t mentioned, such as whether engine crossmember spacers were used or which engine mounts were used in those cases.

By using Cusco engine mounts, which are 10mm lower in height than OEM/TRD, the bellhousing can fit without having to use crossmember spacers.

Rather than try to make our bellhousing match those in the pictures, we decided to mark all areas that interfered, and to start grinding away at them until we were able to fit the bellhousing into place on the engine. Here are the areas which touched:

-The fuel lines and starter groove. As stated above, the side starter groove also needs some fitting. This step was partially because of our waterline kit, but also due to clearance issues in the trans tunnel:

Name:	Fuel 1.JPG 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	15631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel 2.JPG 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	15632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel 3.JPG 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	15633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel 4.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	15634

-The driver’s side transmission tunnel:

Name:	D2.JPG 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	15635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1.JPG 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	15636

-The top of the transmission tunnel. The black line marks where the tunnel hits the bellhousing:

Name:	Tunnel.JPG 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	15637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunnel 2.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	15638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunnel 3.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	15639

This is where we kept removing material until it became clear that something more drastic needed to be done. Then, Warren said, “I hope this bellhousing wasn’t expensive...”:

Name:	Expensive.JPG 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	15640Attachment 15641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expensive 3.JPG 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	15642
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-13-2018 at 10:03 AM.

STEP 5: TEST FIT THE EMPTY TRANSMISSION CASE TO THE ENGINE WITH THE TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER

The SQ mount is well made. The holes were drilled before the metal was bent to shape, so they need to be drilled out again to 9/16? or about 14mm. Not a big deal.

Name:	Crossmember.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	15657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crossmember 2.JPG 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	15656

Here, the empty transmission shell fits right into place. There?s not much clearance on the driver's side, but with the CUSCO engine mounts, I find it hard to believe that the transmission will sway much to either side.

Name:	Fitment 1.JPG 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	15658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fitment 2.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	15659

Here it is from afar. One thing that Warren and I discussed is what to do about the trans mount studs. They?re pretty long. They aren?t as low as my exhaust, but they still don?t need to be that low. More on that later...

Name:	Fitment 3.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	15660
    Last edited by Serendipity; 02-13-2018 at 09:12 AM.

STEP 6: WELD UP THEM HOLES YOU DONE DID SON...
    Obviously, you?ll want to close up the holes in the bellhousing, but it?s interesting to note that it already has a few slits, which must be for reducing windage.

Top plate in place:

Name:	Plate in place 1.JPG 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	15665

Top plate prepped for welding:

Name:	Plate in Place 2.JPG 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	15666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate Prepped.JPG 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	15667

After welding:

Name:	After welding 1.JPG 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	15668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After welding 2.JPG 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	15669