Thread: 3tc and 2tg hybrid

3tc and 2tg hybrid

HI guys I have a 3tc and I also have a 2tg head. I want to do a hybrid conversion and was wondering if there is anything I have to look out for and what type of compression ratio can I run on pump gas. Thanks.

Really, really pointless.

You can get just as much flow, cheaper, with a 3tc head.

You won't have to order every spare part you want from NZ.

And it's heavier and has more moving and mechanical parts.

Don't. Financial Suicide.
    1987 Corolla GTS Hatch | 1985 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1987 Corolla GTS Coupe | 1992 Tercel CE | 1992 Paseo | 2003 Corolla CE | 1974 Corolla 4 Door | 1978 Corolla Coupe | 1979 Corolla Hatch SR5 | <3||||||1990 Miata |||||| <3
    I like Toyota's wanna fight about it?

Thanks for letting me know you just saved me from going into dept. Do you know a good setup were I can get alot of low end torque and hp. Plus I dont want to go turbo or efi.

You can't have "a lot of low end torque and hp" for cheap or free, it doesn't happen that way. Maybe you haven't heard the saying that you have to pay to play, but that's the truth. If you want big power you'll need turbo and efi, or high compression and the internal parts to support high rpm, and run different rear end gearing. You're not ever going to have a quick TE corolla without spending a wad of money, it doesn't work that way.

Quick and Dirty 3tc build is:

EGR Delete
    Weber 32/36
    Ported and Shaved head
    Decked block
    Make sure the rings are good (Do leak down and compression test before building the block)
    Big Cam (272 was great in my 3tc - until I killed it)
    Headers

That should be good for 115-140hp depending on who you talk to.

As bcae92 said, I wouldn't bother with the 2tg. Unless you are going for *cool factor* (because it is cool) it's a lot of money for not a lot of payoff.
    ---------------------------------
    End.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    You can't have "a lot of low end torque and hp" for cheap or free, it doesn't happen that way. Maybe you haven't heard the saying that you have to pay to play, but that's the truth. If you want big power you'll need turbo and efi, or high compression and the internal parts to support high rpm, and run different rear end gearing. You're not ever going to have a quick TE corolla without spending a wad of money, it doesn't work that way.
    I have set aside more than 16grand for the engine. I just want to know whats the highest compression I can go since I'm gonna be running pump gas like 91. What are really good internals and parts for a an all motor build.

Since you have the money, perhaps you should contact BRD Racing and have them build you an engine. They specialize in 2/3TC engines and would certainly have more knowledge than random people on an infrequently used forum.

http://brdracing.com/toyota_2tc_3tc_engines.htm

Agreed, have someone build you an engine. I've built my own but if you get one that's built by a shop, you'll have some warranty and support. Maximum CR depends on several factors.

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    Agreed, have someone build you an engine. I've built my own but if you get one that's built by a shop, you'll have some warranty and support. Maximum CR depends on several factors.
    I've already contacted brd racing and waiting for a reply. But I wanted to build the engine by my self. Its just I dont know what internals I need to in order to have a high compression engine that will run on pump gas.

You'll still need to check and measure your bearing journals and bores and have machine work done, at which point they'll tell you what the cylinders need to be bored to, and the crank ground to. Then you can order parts to fit. Many a fool has bought an expensive set of pistons, only to find that they're too small.
    Also, do you have the means to port the head? There'll he headwork needed too. Obviously you can't slap fancy new parts in an old engine and expect it to work and last.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrazali1 View Post
    I've already contacted brd racing and waiting for a reply. But I wanted to build the engine by my self. Its just I dont know what internals I need to in order to have a high compression engine that will run on pump gas.
    Often best to call.

Email doesn't often convey a serious intent.
    ---------------------------------
    End.