Thread: Engine balancing

Engine balancing

This is for any engine balancing discussion. Anyone know what G class Toyota engines are balanced to? Sometime in the next little while I'll be balancing a K24de flywheel and clutch. I know it's Nissan but I want to eventually check a stock 3tc reciprocating assembly and see how well balanced it is

Based on anything I could find online, it appears that automotive engines are balanced to G40 spec. Everything I balance at work is done to G1 which is overkill so it'll be interesting to see how smooth it runs once finished. Basically it would be good for ridiculous rpm, providing the internals could conceivably spin that fast without exploding lol

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve from the motor, or what parts you're putting into it.

Generally speaking though, it's the valve train that runs into issues first - as far as RPM goes.

If you're building a motor, there's certainly no reason to not balance it beyond the factory spec if you have the money or skills to do so. However, as you noted in your above post, there are other limiting factors that I would argue play a larger part in getting RPM/HP out of a motor.
    ---------------------------------
    End.

My reason is because I do balancing as part of my job, on rotating equipment. It's been proven to increase reliability dramatically around the plant, and my interest in testing for unbalance in a stock engine would be to see just that, how close it is from factory. Then balance it and see how it feels. I've got half a dozen T engines to play with, and if it works well, build one for more power and do the same.

like you mentioned, the valvetrain will run in to issues - especially on a pushrod motor. but balancing does work, Nascar engines run to 9000rpm
    as much as i used to love the ol' 3tc, it reaches a point of little gains fairly quick.
    https://paradiseracing.com/shop/engi...er-rocker-kit/
    Speed Kills - Drive a Honda and live Forever
    http://twitter.com/coryinsales

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    My reason is because I do balancing as part of my job, on rotating equipment. It's been proven to increase reliability dramatically around the plant, and my interest in testing for unbalance in a stock engine would be to see just that, how close it is from factory. Then balance it and see how it feels. I've got half a dozen T engines to play with, and if it works well, build one for more power and do the same.
    Sounds like a cool experiment. Good luck!
    ---------------------------------
    End.