Thread: Which Landcruisers were Canadian Only/ Rare in the US, but more common in Canada?

Which Landcruisers were Canadian Only/ Rare in the US, but more common in Canada?

Hello all! I hope this message finds you well.

I've been lurking around IH8Mud and realized certain things that seem to have been mentioned in passing, but without asking directly, is hard to find outright answers for. I was going to ask them directly, but it seems silly signing up for membership just to ask one question. Realizing a lot of you hang out there and are here too, I might as well ask here, being that you're all so awesome and knowledgeable and such

That said, here it is:
    Which LandCruiser models were Canadian only, or at least, rare in the US, but more common Canada?

I ask this because usually, it's the opposite, right? Eg. The FZJ80 was offered up as the Lexus LX450 here, so if you see one badged as Toyota, it's an American car. Same with the URJ200 - Lexus LX570 only in Canada.

From what I thought I've read:
    -BJ40 (the original) In the US, this was strictly FJ40 only, meaning they only had the inline six gas?? Does this mean, the Diesel offerings are a Canadian thing? Because I keep seeing the same trend in other models, namely....
    -BJ60 (wagon) with 3B diesel and Manual is incredibly uncommon to non-existent in the US, being that they only have the FJ60, but easier to find in Canada??? True?
    -HJ60 (Wagon) with 2H diesel. Was this another Canadian only offering?
    -BJ70 (Short Wheelbase) was offered in Canada, but not the US? As in, the US never got any 70 series at all, is this true? What other 70 series lengths/configurations were offered in Canada? I ask, because....
    -BJ75 (Pickup) I remember seeing a 3B powered LHD manual pickup that was a farm truck on Kijiji recently. The VIN's weights were in kg and the speedo was in km. For something so well used, that has got to be a Canadian truck all its life, right?

Thank you for the time!

R.
    Last edited by randedge; 12-16-2018 at 07:23 AM.
    I am Randy's desire to go faster.

1988 Toyota MR2 Hardtop NA - Sold and sorely missed
    1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

Most of the current 70-series is sold by Enns specifically for mining companies. These vehicles may never be operated on public roads because they don't meet current collision standards.
    - Brian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_59.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	15797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_60.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	15798

Yes, but this shorty BJ70 was offered here in Canada (the VIN says so) right? Was it ever offered in the US?
    Same with BJ60 and HJ60 - can never see them in 'murican classifieds, but always pops up in Canada. Just curious if it was a matter of rarity in the US, or actual near nonexistence.
    I am Randy's desire to go faster.

1988 Toyota MR2 Hardtop NA - Sold and sorely missed
    1992 RHD Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1 disguised as a III - I'm not actually that big of a JDM fanboy.

The 70 series was only sold in small numbers in the North American market. For 1984–1987 (model years 1985–1987), the BJ70 was sold in small numbers in Canada. All were identically equipped, aside from interior, and exterior colour. The only other variation was, in 1985 they had a 12-volt electronic system. Starting from late-1985 production (for the 1986 model year), Toyota opted for a 24-volt system. The HZJ79 cab and chassis is still available in Canada, although in very limited quantities. Further restrictions are that they are only accessible to the mining industry, and only through one Toyota dealer in Saskatchewan. The 70 series was not sold in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J70)

Quote Originally Posted by randedge View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_59.JPG 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	15797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_60.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	15798

Yes, but this shorty BJ70 was offered here in Canada (the VIN says so) right? Was it ever offered in the US?
    Same with BJ60 and HJ60 - can never see them in 'murican classifieds, but always pops up in Canada. Just curious if it was a matter of rarity in the US, or actual near nonexistence.
    Only available here in Canada. I have a shorty.
    '80 MX32 sedan |'83 AE71 wagon |'84 AE86 hatch
    '85 AE86 coupe |'86 AE86 hatch |'86 AE86 coupe
    '88 MR2 S/C |'86 S12 hatch |'88 Silvia K's
    '91 Z30 Soarer '92 JZS147 Aristo |'92 S13 coupe
    '93 R33 Skyline |'98 S14 kouki

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMatic View Post
    Is dyno like 200 for the hp if mustang shifts but 300 if corolla shifts?

Looking at North America, Canada got a few models the USA never got. Most of what you have is correct, but is missing the BJ42. BJ40 (B engine), BJ42 (3B Engine), BJ60 (3B Engine), HJ60 (2H Engine), BJ70 (3B Engine).

The Land Cruiser stopped being sold after 1989 in Canada, with the exception of 70-series mining trucks sold by Ens Toyota in Saskatchewan (which cannot be registered). The closest we got after that was the Lexus LX450, 470 and 570 starting in 1996.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

Unsurprisingly, Jeff nailed it.

We got a few old diesels the the states didn't, and we got a very small smattering of shorty 70's. Canada is a land cruiser wasteland after '89.
    Dean L.
    2007 Lexus LX470
    2000 Lexus LS400
    1985 Toyota Celica Supra 1JZ - 1JZ, restored
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73