Thread: T50 bellhousing information

T50 bellhousing information

I'm looking for templates for the variations of t-50 bellhousing used on Toyota's various RWD engines. I have a tranny from an '82 Corolla (US name) 1800 (Toyota Corolla TE72, 1770CC) and I want to fit it to a MG Midget 1275 A series engine for a '61 Morris Minor pickup. I have the relevant parts but lack the correct back plate adapter; the one I have is made for a different bellhousing, but what one? Some bolt holes align, others are off by fractions of an inch (mm) and, as a result, I don't trust the input shaft to be located precisely. Options are to buy a manufactured custom bellhousing at ~ $700USD from UK or AUS (plus more $$$ shipping), or find the correct one, used, to mate up with my present adapter plate... That seems to be a better option, and is my preferred choice.

Does anyone know where I can find full size (preferably) outlines of the face of the variations used on the various engines using T-50s? Possibly the rear bolt pattern of those engines will accomplish the same goal. Then I can search for the correct one, used, perhaps from someone on this site.

If you just have a few holes that are only 1 or 2mm off location, I would open up the sides of those holes. You then need to place a dial indicator on the flywheel, and verify that you are centered. You should be max .005" TIR. Once you have centered the flywheel housing, then drill two 1/4" pilot holes [180* across from each other] that you can use as dowels to maintain the correct alignment. I assuming you have already check input shaft bushing size and engagement. DaveW

T-50 Adapt to 1275 Midget egine

I don't envision how to set up a dial indicator on the flywheel to verify trans input shaft alignment. Would I install the clutch/fly- wheel/pressure plate onto trans input shaft and look for runout when rotating flywheel? Then adjust adapter plate holes to match to block's bolt holes to meet crank's center line? Sounds complex and difficult to do accurately. I'm not a machinist. Is there something I'm missing?

I've read that being off center will (eventually) wreck the input shaft at the needle bearings, and replacements are absolutely unavailable. Is it sound practice to replace that bearing with an oilite or splintered bronze bushing that would be preferable as a wear surface if some minor inevitable eccentricity?

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    If you just have a few holes that are only 1 or 2mm off location, I would open up the sides of those holes. You then need to place a dial indicator on the flywheel, and verify that you are centered. You should be max .005" TIR. Once you have centered the flywheel housing, then drill two 1/4" pilot holes [180* across from each other] that you can use as dowels to maintain the correct alignment. I assuming you have already check input shaft bushing size and engagement. DaveW

You need a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Set it on the back of the crank or the flywheel. Install and lightly tighten a couple bellhousing bolts. Adjust the dial to touch the center bore surface of the housing. Then simply turn the crank. Adjust the housing until the is little or no movement of the dial indicator as you turn the crank. Then you will be centered. You then need to tighten a couple of the bolts and drill new holes thru the bellhousing into the block for your new dowel pins. Verify the rest of the housing bolt holes, you may need slight hole adjustments or enlargement. You probably have to get a custom bushing made, or you may be able to get new pilot bushing for the "A" series crank [there are a couple sizes] bored out to the required I.D. for the T-50 input shaft. DaveW

Krcaddis, I believe davew is referring to this method of "dialing-in" a bellhousing to the crankshaft, to attain concentricity to the crank centerline.

https://youtu.be/vO9f4FhK13U

T-50 Adapt to 1275 Midget engine dial in procedure

Thanks for the information! I found a couple youtube videos on the procedure and now it makes enough sense to see if it can be done wit my adapter once I bolt it up to the bellhousing- once removed from the transmission. TG it's demountable!

Quote Originally Posted by bcae92 View Post
    Krcaddis, I believe davew is referring to this method of "dialing-in" a bellhousing to the crankshaft, to attain concentricity to the crank centerline.

https://youtu.be/vO9f4FhK13U