Page 1 of 17 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Yum-Yum (SR86) ITS ALIVE!!!!

Project Yum-Yum (SR86) ITS ALIVE!!!!

Well I know there is a few of you guys who have been waiting patiently for an update so here is a few pics so far

why its called project YumYum

The guys at PDM racing ROCK!

some of the goodies going in the car

Koyo s13 sr20det radiator and FMIC test fitted

Falken Azenis rt-615 and TSW Blade 15x7 wheels attached to T3 33mm wheel adapters

Sr20 in the car with custom built motor mounts

Stay tuned for more as the build progresses. It's been pushed back outside while i finish another customers car but work should resume after fathers day

Mod List
    1986 Kouki Ae86 Hatch
    T3 33m wheel adapters
    T3 NCRA's
    TSW Blade 15x7 wheels
    Falken Azenis rt615 205/20-15's
    1981 Celica Supra rear axle
    KVR Black Plated cross drilled rotors all the way around
    Hawk HPS pads on all 4 corners
    Walbro 255lph High volume pump
    Red-top SR20SET
    Megan Racing Stainless tubular manifold
    Custom Downpipe
    Full 3" straight Under axle with nothing but a 3" resonator
    Koyo S13 Sr20 radiator
    Megan Front mount Intercooler
    Megan Front Strut bar
    HKS EVC I
    Autometer boost/vacuum, Coolant Temp, Air/fuel gauge
    Defi VSD Heads up display
    Megan Billet underdrive aluminum pulleys
    Modified INC 5 piece Drift kit (j-blood replica, not on car yet)

Special Thanks to the following shops
    www.technotoytuning.com
    www.pdm-racing.com
    All of them were awesome to deal with

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Groenink; 07-28-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

get er done steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's crazy! Keep up the good work! T.

Wow. Looks great! I read in an option mag a while back of a 800hp drag Levin that was SR powered. It was crazy. Your 5th pic down reminded me of it b/c the guy had a custom bumper that didnt really hide the bigass intercooler.

Keep us on the update and I have to say thats pretty rad.

Quik edit: BTW you should really change the project name to "Project Rad-Ass"
    aka Johnny_Engrish/Wildcat86
    aka THE REAL CUSCO 86..damn biters

Coool! that will be a great project.
    I got a Box of smarties from PDM once too, they are great.
    BTW, what type of lateral rod is that?

So to get clearance you needed to cut the core support? Is that easy to re-build?
    SpeedHero

Spirit of the Street, King of Sport

That looks like a whiteline lateral bar,at least looks like the one I just stuck on my car

Looks good Steve,what are you running for a rear end to handle the power level?.

Quote Originally Posted by max attack
    That looks like a whiteline lateral bar,at least looks like the one I just stuck on my car

Looks good Steve,what are you running for a rear end to handle the power level?.
    -I've got an 81 celica GTS, LSD equipped, Disc rear axle complete to go under it, should handle the power pretty good.

-I cut the rad support to make it easier to pull the motor in and out while fabricating due to the insanely long SR transmission, have to have the engine almost vertical to put the engine in with the transmission attached, wasnt really necessary because I later found its much easier to just drop the complete subframe out (12bolts and 4 nuts and its on the floor)

-Its a whiteline panhard bar that I ordered along with a ton of other stuff from PDM, those guys rock

Steve

i wanted the white line bar, they are now out of stock
    can't wait to see that thing finnished! have you run into any porblems yet?

Quote Originally Posted by twotone_ae86
    i wanted the white line bar, they are now out of stock
    can't wait to see that thing finnished! have you run into any porblems yet?

I dont refer to them as problems, more like obstacles or annoying things :-) A person can put any engine in any car if they have enough money, time, and skill :-)

that being said there is gonna be difficulties and head scratching when it's gonna be the first car like it in canada and one of only a very small few in north america

Steve

wow, nice project mang. how much boost do you plan to run throught that huge IC? i'm really interested in what you think about those tires when the times comes...

Good job so far Steve! Did you have to bang the firewall out much? How easy was the tranny mount to hook up? DETAILS!!! I'm very interested in this project for the easy power potential of the SR. I don't care how impure it is to most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

stuvy is offline Soarer going under the knife!!
    The pics don't come close to giving this car justice. You really have to be their to truly apprecitate this swap.

The firewall had to be banged a bit but only near the tranny tunel. Yes it is a tight fit but there is definatley enough room to work on it.

The tranny mounts haven't been worked out as the floor still has to be cut out for the shifter to fit. I am sure steve will keep you updated as the project progress'.
    Soarer $7000. obo.

heh..

whats an SR20 from?

looks purty so far.. too bad about the non-toyota motor in chassis.. but eh, thats just me

good luck on the rest of the job..

Brett

the nissan sr20det came in the the later model s13 silvias,s14 silvias, and the pulars gtir's, and some front wheel drive car cant think of the name right now

What is your intended use for the car Steve,any motorsports events or simply a street terror?.I could care less if the engine is the same make as the chassis,whatever makes the car the things you want it too is fine with me.The car looks awesome,look forward to following your build.
    I'm personally afraid of breaking my tranny befroe the rear gear,btw any ideas on just how tough the gts rear is?with the gze tq and little sticky 13" race rubber on I hope it lives for awhile.

Well the tranny being used is the s13 trans. no problems there. The rear diff is said to become pretty well useless at anything over 150 ft lbs. of torque.

The SR20 came in S13, S14, S15 chassis cars (silvias and 180sx's), the pulsar or sunny GTi-R the bluebird (awd stanza). We never got a turbo varient but we did get a NA SR20 in the nissan NX2000. I believe it was a 91-93 model car and the 91-? sentra SERs.

you guys have something against rad supports don't you

And damn, you sure have gotten your money out of those wheels Steve, talk about getting around

As for the sr20 in a toy, its simply a matter of economics. If you've followed Steves swaps, you'd know hes a huge fan of 3sgtes, but this is no midengined car. The sad truth is toyota has no simple and cheap way to get a good turbo 4 into a rwd car. A rwd turbo sr20 can be had for something like a third of what it would cost to get a 3sgte in there. I'm all for keeping it in the family, but toyota has been sleeping at the wheel for the last 15 years or so as far as it comes to turbo rwd 4bangers.

Quote Originally Posted by max attack
    What is your intended use for the car Steve,any motorsports events or simply a street terror?.I could care less if the engine is the same make as the chassis,whatever makes the car the things you want it too is fine with me.The car looks awesome,look forward to following your build.
    I'm personally afraid of breaking my tranny befroe the rear gear,btw any ideas on just how tough the gts rear is?with the gze tq and little sticky 13" race rubber on I hope it lives for awhile.
    He's using the supra axle w/lsd in the back. I'm sure if you keep the diff maintained and don't abuse it to much that it'll last a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

oh mna steve. u always have the sexest projects on the go.

so u do stuff like this on the side for money or is this your job?

cant wait to see more progress.
    and i cant find the link right now but there was a site in australia that had a drop in kit for this swap and lots of good info. i was lookin to do this swap but i dont have much know how or money. i look up to you in so many ways. lol
    Mat 83 GTS Hatch 87 GTSR5 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSpence View Post
    If only I put the same amount of effort into my schooling as I do my car. Education is important, but racecar is importanter.
    Stuff I'm Selling
    IG Mattyballz86