Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Yum-Yum (SR86) ITS ALIVE!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I do crazy ass engine swaps on the side in the evenings and weekends

And yep I'm using a 79-81 celica or supra disc rear axle, I confirmed yesterday that both the celica and supra of that generation were both available with disc brakes and the majority of the parts are the same for the rear axle between the two models.

-driveshaft will be custom
    -transmission is the s13 trans
    -motor mounts and trans x-member are custom fabbed

I won't be doing a complete writeup on the swap for a reason although i will be posting up plenty of pics of the overall progress. I may consider offering this swap later on down the road but it will not be for the faint of heart or wallet LOL there is an incredible amount of fabrication work involved with this

Steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Update time :-)

Got the Celica/Supra rear Axle in the car tonight, only took me about 5 1/2 hours, first thing in a long time that has gone smoothly, it was a welcome change

Here is the Celica diff in front and an SR5 drum rear axle behind, I'm stealing the 5 link brackets and spring perches off this so i can save my complete GTS rear axle

Here Is the Celica axle with all its previous mounts stripped off and cleaned up, GTS axle pictured as well

Celica axle and GTS axle

Here is the brackets welded on to the celica axle and the complete GTS rear axle behnd it for comparison

Not bad weld's for a self taught bum with a cheap canadian tire 110v welder w/gas of course tho

Axle in the car and the wheels back on, front 1/4 view

Rear view with the wheels on

Overall I am VERY happy with this swap, I'm having the custom driveshaft built tommorow to the required length, the Celica Axle is MUCH beefier and has a 22mm wider track along with 1/2" larger diameter rotors and beefier calipers, should help even out the brake bias a bit with OEM pads and rotors in the rear and KVR Xdrilled with hawk HPS in the front. I am almost positive that if i pull the axles I should be able to swap the GTS caliper brackets and rotor onto this axle though, its something I am going to investigate a bit later on though

Steve

wow looks great! those are some nice welds, whether self taught or not... cant wait for more pics... keep us posted!

Bretton...

where did you find out that the celica came with rear discs?

as far as i knew the Celica Supra was the only one to come with rear discs......

any who if you could let me know where you found the info......i would like to read through it.

odd you had to move the spring perches.......I did not have to move them on my swap....

there is a fellow in the states is running Porterfield R4-S pads in his Celica Supra axle.

looks good.....there is also a helical posi unit available for the 7.5" toyota diff called TruTrac....

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 76RA24
    where did you find out that the celica came with rear discs?

as far as i knew the Celica Supra was the only one to come with rear discs......

any who if you could let me know where you found the info......i would like to read through it.

odd you had to move the spring perches.......I did not have to move them on my swap....

there is a fellow in the states is running Porterfield R4-S pads in his Celica Supra axle.

looks good.....there is also a helical posi unit available for the 7.5" toyota diff called TruTrac....

Pete
    how i found out that the celica was also available was that me and the parts manager down here went through all the cross reference's and it lists the same part number for both the celica as well as the supra, two different listings.

As for the spring perches I had to move them because I got this axle after someone had alreayd started modifying it for something or other and had already cleaned the stock perches off

steve

cool thanks for the info......

Pete

Are you planning on running the mk2 supra brakes on the front of the car too? It's an easy swap, just put the whole strut in, along with the brakes and everything. You just need to make a custom NC-RCA to adapt the balljoint/steering arm sizes, cuz the supra has wider bolt-spacing than the corolla. Better yet, build coilovers out of the supra struts.

Bigger brakes in the front would be nice, to match the bigger brakes in the back.

BTW, nice garage, and nice toolbox in the bacground.
    - Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Are you planning on running the mk2 supra brakes on the front of the car too? It's an easy swap, just put the whole strut in, along with the brakes and everything. You just need to make a custom NC-RCA to adapt the balljoint/steering arm sizes, cuz the supra has wider bolt-spacing than the corolla. Better yet, build coilovers out of the supra struts.

Bigger brakes in the front would be nice, to match the bigger brakes in the back.
    I got them aswell..........need a new bias valve though.......

sorry but hijack.....the supra fronts are good

Pete

Actually I'm gonna be running KVR x-drilled with hawk HPS pads up front and for the summer i'll be running OEM rotors and stock pads, I'm really curious to see how the brake bias turns out because toyota's are always notoriously front biased.

Thanks for the good words on the garage, it actually belongs to Garagefujimoto, although the toolbox is mine :-)

Steve

El Nagro is offline aka: Pointless Poster Nagy
    Keep working steve you got 2 weeks to get this thing done for SMW

Well took it for a spin around the block at about 7:00am this morning with nothing but a 18inch long downpipe, gotta chase down a boost leak and finish building the exhaust, well that and gettings some of the guages to work, only thing that works right now is fuel guage LOL

Steve

narfy is offline gigidy gigidy... ooo right!!
    holy crap, that was fast... running already?! dayam...
    VZN185 - 32" BFG AT, OME suspension, ARB bumper, lightforce lights, TRD trans cooler, TRD exhaust, AMT sliders, budbuilt plates...
    ZN6 - stock with HIDs and LEDs...
    fng@regencyauto.com

El Nagro is offline aka: Pointless Poster Nagy
    Steve you rock my word hahahaha Thats ooooing awsome that you were able to do it all that fast!!! musta taken a day or two off work hahahaha.

jesus christ

it is 4 pm...i just woke up.
    i guess that's what happens when you work on corolla all night and then go to bed at 10 in the morning..
    good thing i am an un-employed bum hehe
    man, turning over the key in this thing, it feels like you are starting the Star trek Enterprise
    hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by El Nagro
    musta taken a day or two off work hahahaha.
    haha nope, full time day job

steve

looking good, cant wait to see it roaming around on the roads, those muscle car guys will be astonished once they see this thing go!

We Want More Pics And Video Steve!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Very impressive, Steve. You and your engine swap!

Looking quite lovely Steve, keep 'er up... I'll second the request for vids and more pics.
    Missing my old 1990 ae92 SR5

stuvy is offline Soarer going under the knife!!
    I will be gettin some vids of this car very soon. You'll just have to wait......
    Soarer $7000. obo.