Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Yum-Yum (SR86) ITS ALIVE!!!!

The Truetrac is neither a Clutch type or a Locker, it's a Helical-gear type (ie: Torsen). The JZA70, JZA80 Supras both had this as an option, as do the Miata's, etc.

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

heres a couple pics of the motor and stuff

and alot of people have been asking what i did for motor mounts so here is a couple pics, they are made from angle iron and are incredibly strong

I am also adapting these to fit the car

They are Zeal Superfunctions for the S13, absolutely amazing and most definately one of the best set of coilovers available to the public for the S13, I'll be retaining the Ae86 Spindle assembly and converting it from the spindle on strut type to the type required by the s13, to fit the rears i will be welding in a new rear top hat into the car to accept the two bolt style top of the s13 and machining a delrin bushing for the bottom. I'll have tons of pics of that in the next couple weeks as the machine shop that i use is really booked up and i had to bribe them with copious amounts of beer for them to slide it in for me :-) Spring rates on the Zeals currently are 10kg/8kg and I will see what they are like on the corolla (i can hear everyone starting to come up with comments on how incredibly stiff these are) All i can say is that the silvia these were on weighed 2700lbs with a 1/2tank of fuel and these were not in any way harsh riding when the valving was set to its softest. Damping is the #1 factor when a suspension feels too hard in my opinion thats why i chose not to go ground control&Tokico HTS' I would've went with silkroad complete coilovers first because there is an incredible amount of R&D that goes into the spring/valving of most high end coilovers.

Worst case scenario is that I will buy a set of 6kg springs and run the 8/6 and have the struts re-valved.

Steve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
    The Truetrac is neither a Clutch type or a Locker, it's a Helical-gear type (ie: Torsen). The JZA70, JZA80 Supras both had this as an option, as do the Miata's, etc.

Awesome Jeff thanks, couldnt find any infon on the website, Prices seemed very reasonable too as last i checked it was in the $500usd range which is cool.

Steve

Woot for a hot unit that will be joining the August cruise
    RS Fujimoto JZA70

Very nice Steve, very nice! I can't wait to see it this summer. With all those mods and some slicks, you should be in the 12's if you care to drag it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokubes View Post
    Is 20 pounds for the weight like 30 if a guy lifts?

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Boost
    Very nice Steve, very nice! I can't wait to see it this summer. With all those mods and some slicks, you should be in the 12's if you care to drag it again.
    12's? the thing ran a 12.88 with 1 dead cylinder :-) i'm going for 10.99's :-)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Groenink
    Awesome Jeff thanks, couldnt find any infon on the website, Prices seemed very reasonable too as last i checked it was in the $500usd range which is cool.

Steve
    I have seen them listed on a few of the different sites for less than $350US for a brand new unit. I was most likely just going to order from Pat's in town here though as I prefer to deal with a local shop. I will probably have them setting up the diff once I get all the parts as well.

Jeff do you have any first-hand experience with the True Trac though? I'm just wondering if it will lock up on decel as much as a 2-way clutch type like the TRD or KAAZ.

P.S. Steve, was your car the one hauling serious ass at the SCC event in Calgary last summer? People were talking about it and I never got a chance to see you run.

P.P.S. Once the car is finished I would be interested in talking to you about it for a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon

P.S. Steve, was your car the one hauling serious ass at the SCC event in Calgary last summer? People were talking about it and I never got a chance to see you run.

P.P.S. Once the car is finished I would be interested in talking to you about it for a story.
    yup that was the beast, only got like 3 semi-clean passes where the engine didnt cut out due to MAF limitations. I placed 4th overall which wasnt bad at all considering the next day I found i had fouled a set of plugs as well as cylinder #3 was down 50lbs of compression :-)

Cams, EMS, bigger injectors, and a decent clutch will allow me to turn up the boost past the max boost of 12psi i could run last year.

What kind of story?

Steve

Hehe, I always take it for granted that people know who I am. I work at the Edmonton Journal as an assistant editor and occasionally write for the Driving section. I'm always looking for unique cars to feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedragon
    Hehe, I always take it for granted that people know who I am. I work at the Edmonton Journal as an assistant editor and occasionally write for the Driving section. I'm always looking for unique cars to feature.

haha right on, yeah car will probably be done in april or so hopefully :-)

Steve

10kg and 8kg combo will be nuts on that thing. it will be great for drifting IMO. i have 8/6 and it could almost go stiffer. that SR is looking very nice. what sorta power figures do you expect??

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Houck
    10kg and 8kg combo will be nuts on that thing. it will be great for drifting IMO. i have 8/6 and it could almost go stiffer. that SR is looking very nice. what sorta power figures do you expect??
    well I plan on maxx'ing out the DiscoPotato this spring at about 330whp, I am blueprinting everything else on the car to support a gt3071R, so if the disco can't provide enough I can always directly upgrade to the internally gated 3071R which is a bolt on replacement for the GT28RS and can support 400+whp if i need it.

yeah I know that 10/8 is pretty stiff but I really think that it wont be nearly as bad as most people think when matched to proper dampers. Not only that this isnt my daily driver so i'm not totally worried about it :-)

Steve

update

fair bit of progress in the last week or so

relocated shifter area to accommodate the longer sr20 transmission, ebrake also has new steel welded in as you can see in the later pics

Stitch welded the whole interior floor pan area, I didn't do door seams or vertical seams very much as this car will still be street driven quite a bit and will have a revolver 6pt cage anyways. This vertical seam on the ae86 is the first one to start separating when big power is installed.

All seams stitch welded and rocker guarded

Here is the adapters I had machined up to allow the ae86 spindle assembly to be attached to the S13 style strut, these will be pinned as well as seam welded to make sure they don't ever separate, that would be bad

New rear strut tower, there is 1/4"X2" wide flat stock behind the sheet metal for added strength, these should be more than strong enough for the coil-over conversion as I know many people who have converted to shock coil-overs using the stock shock mounts without any problem (ie Silkroad/section/Technotoytuning)

Both sides completed and rocker guarded, bear in mind I have no sheet metal tools other than an air nibbler, hammer and a pair of hand shears

Now with most of metal fabrication completed I can start on the bodywork, Shaved the ugly side marker lights via steel filler plates and welded in new trunk pockets that i salvaged from a rust free yet totaled coupe. (bright green filler hasn't been sanded off yet)

More to come in the next little while, still waiting for my 2" CBY flares but i have the rest.

Steve

forget the flares.. get a stock set of steelies widened, scrape off all the stickers, put the whole interior back in and then beat the snot outta damn near everything around with a stack of grocery bags in the bag and a baby seat bolted in..

Brett
    '87 AE86 - GTSR5 - Daily Driver
    '72 RA21 Celica - 'Ill build it one day'
    '73 RN27 Hilux - Restomod in progress
    '80 MX32 Cressida - Next in the project queue
    '91 SV25 Camry All-Trac - Winter DD

Quote Originally Posted by celica-fiend
    forget the flares.. get a stock set of steelies widened, scrape off all the stickers, put the whole interior back in and then beat the snot outta damn near everything around with a stack of grocery bags in the bag and a baby seat bolted in..

Brett

hehe if you notice the stickers are only on the glass :-) but yeah the car will have full interior and all panels back in when its assembled, will even be sporting a 6pt cage at some pooint and priority is on keeping all the panels

Steve

holy jeebus, steve you never cease to amaze me... lol

that looks pretty schweet

I can't wait to see that thing when it's all done! It looks amazing.
    I'll also need to drive it

RETIRED

Awesome workmanship Steve! I'd like to see in-car vids on your 10.xx's runs!

you are making monster, I'm fixing crap in same garage.
    make me depressed. lol

Kiyo let's hurry up and get your car done.

Then you can deliver pizzas and make money until your other job is available.

Steve, points to you for imagination
    RS Fujimoto JZA70