Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Yum-Yum (SR86) ITS ALIVE!!!!

Ok...now let's see some pics

Quote Originally Posted by 77toycelica
    Ok...now let's see some pics

Pics of the paint are gonna wait a couple weeks till the car is all back together, only have the chassis, doors and hatch painted right now, still have to do the fenders, hood, headlight covers, side skirts, bumpers, and fender flares (thanks BTUNE.NET!!!!)

STeve
    Owned too many different modified toyotas to list LOL

Heres a shot of the Front Suspension/Spindle adapters all built, cleaned up the welds after this pic tho

Heres the car in epoxy sealer

Finished Product, please excuse the very FAIL wheels, they were just for transport till the new wheels show up

Put my deposit on my new wheels for this car

Work Meister S1-2p

Front 15x9 -25

Rear 15x10 -25

Gold with polished lip, should be arriving in 6-8 weeks. I know someone will mention that I could've gone more offset on the rear but I am using the supra rear axle which is 20mm wider, I'll have an effective 15x10 -35 on the rear. Tires will probably be 205/50-15 RT615's on the front if they stretch well and 225/50-15 Ziex 512's on the rear. Ideally I would like to find some 235/50 or 245/45 for the rear but I havent seen any decent tires in that size.

Engine, trans and assembly is back in the car and I need to massage the floorpan to accomodate the rather tight fit of my downpipe as well as I have to find a way to shim the angle of my steering rack to allow more clearance with the sr5 manual rack to column u-joint as it just barely touches my oil return line.

I'll snag some more pics in the next few days, weather has been horrible lately (-5 to -25 celcius) and my garage isnt insulated or heated yet other than the little space heater i use, can only work on it when it warms up a bit.

Steve

nice colour, nice paint.
    good looking car.

looks awesome steve
    cant wait to see it when its done

stuvy is offline Soarer going under the knife!!
    Those wheels aren't very fail! those are oem VW wheels from a MK3. Come on steve why get meisters when you got the german engineering in da house! Represent the Deustchland!
    Soarer $7000. obo.

Looks good Steve!:o Nice choice of color too.

Steve, don't get the Ziex for the rear. No where near as sticky as the Azenis for one, but for two they're a skinny ass tire. Ziex in all sizes are substantially skinnier then other brands in the same size. I think thats part of how they make them so cheap. They're a decent tire, nice compound, but skinny and really soft sidewalls. Awesome in the rain though. My 225/50-15s were 1/2 and inch skinnier then my old firehawks. I ran them on 8 inch wheels and they looked stretched, I doubt they'd even fit 10s. Most 225/50-15s are perfectly square on 8 inch wheels.

good to know seamus, I'd really like to find something in a 245/45-15 or a 235/50-15 but those are pretty uncommon sizes to find

Steve

uncommon? More like completely unavailable on our shores. With your connections in japan you might be able to get a pair of azenis in 235/45-15. Apparently that size was available in another market for the old 215s. You can get Dunlop 8000s in 245/50-15 still last I checked, but they are now the only tire in that size and they're a little on the tall side for a corolla. I used to have a set, this is them here...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/51226388

I don't know if my set just sat for too long or what, but I was severlly dissappointed in their grip. Had them on the rear of my car last summer for a trip and had the 225/50 ziex on the front and the rear just let go everytime I threw the car hard into a 90 degree corner. They could have been as old as 3 years at that point though, almost full tread. I got them new, autoxed on them twice and then the saw maybe 1000kms street use. Your best bet is 225/15-15s though. Wicked size and super cheap and great selection, except no Azenis still. Personally I'd adjust your rim size to match. Thats what I'm doing for my project supra. It would barely cost me anymore to go an inch or two wider for my custom hoops for my hayashis but theres nothing in tire selection so I'll probably end up only going to an 8.5 or 9.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 03-11-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend
    uncommon? More like completely unavailable on our shores. With your connections in japan you might be able to get a pair of azenis in 235/45-15. Apparently that size was available in another market for the old 215s. You can get Dunlop 8000s in 245/50-15 still last I checked, but they are now the only tire in that size and they're a little on the tall side for a corolla. I used to have a set, this is them here...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/51226388

I don't know if my set just sat for too long or what, but I was severlly dissappointed in their grip. Had them on the rear of my car last summer for a trip and had the 225/50 ziex on the front and the rear just let go everytime I threw the car hard into a 90 degree corner. They could have been as old as 3 years at that point though, almost full tread. I got them new, autoxed on them twice and then the saw maybe 1000kms street use. Your best bet is 225/15-15s though. Wicked size and super cheap and great selection, except no Azenis still. Personally I'd adjust your rim size to match. Thats what I'm doing for my project supra. It would barely cost me anymore to go an inch or two wider for my custom hoops for my hayashis but theres nothing in tire selection so I'll probably end up only going to an 8.5 or 9.

Yeah I wish i could just buy 17's for the car and have almost unlimited choices for tire sizes but unfortunately I am at the mercy of my flares :-) I may try those dunlop 8000's just cause they have a chance of protecting my wheel lips in a chance encounter with a curb. otherwise i'll probably be going with something in a 225/50-15 and I think i remember seeing that A048's were available in that size as well. gotta go do some more digging

Steve

wow your back alley is paved better than many main roads here.... probably wider too...

Quote Originally Posted by 1985trueno
    wow your back alley is paved better than many main roads here.... probably wider too...
    thats what happens when the mayor lives directly across the alley from you :-)

Steve

BTW I am going to be the next mayor of Lethbridge
    I will then re-zone Steve's street as a drift-only development
    RS Fujimoto JZA70

why in gods name did u paint ur head black? its aluminum it needs no paint??? to be honest it looks kinda gayyyyngsta.......p.s. this is not jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS350 6MT F-Sport with LSD
    2005 NCP13 Toyota Yaris RS 5MT Hatchback
    1993 TCR10 Team Mondor Toyota Previa GT-S RM 5MT Studded Ice Race Van
    1986 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S 5MT Supercharged

El Nagro is offline aka: Pointless Poster Nagy
    Quote Originally Posted by garagefujimoto
    BTW I am going to be the next mayor of Lethbridge
    I will then re-zone Steve's street as a drift-only development

The day you become mayor is the day I move to BC!!!!!!! lol

Does it run yet steve??

What fender flares are those and where did you get them?

I'll be running 15x7's Rewinds front and rear for street use, but on the track I'd like to run some 15x8's up front and 15x10's in the back with r-compound tires. With those flares and coilovers, do you think you could fit a 275mm tire in the rear?

my friend has those flares in stock. CBY if your interested i will get a price for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinker Fluid
    What fender flares are those and where did you get them?

I'll be running 15x7's Rewinds front and rear for street use, but on the track I'd like to run some 15x8's up front and 15x10's in the back with r-compound tires. With those flares and coilovers, do you think you could fit a 275mm tire in the rear?

rewinds would look totally dumb under these flares, those wheels on the car in the pics are 14x6 +7 offset, so even a 15x7 0offset isn't going to look very pretty. most cars that run these flares run closer to what i am running 15x9 -25 front and 15x10-25 rear (effective -36 offset in rear due to wider rear axle)

if i get a chance in the next couple weeks i'll bolt my tsw's on which are 15x7 -8. i got the flares from btune.net $130usd+duty&brokerage shipped (~200cdn) which is an amazing deal compared to i paid $240usd shipped for a set from toycoolrolla last june which i still haven't recieved a useable set or a full refund

Steve

Hummmm, maybe I will just have to spring for some 15x9 and 15x10 Work Equip 01/03's that I was looking at before. I wouldn't feel comfortable stretching a 225 onto a 10" wheel, so the back I would probably run 255's, but the only tires available in 255/15's are either Drag Radials or DOT R-compounds.